Data protection information
The Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V. (MPG) takes the protection of your personal data very seriously. We process personal data collected during visits to our website in compliance with the applicable data protection regulations. We will neither publish your data nor pass it on to third parties without authorisation. In the following, we explain which data we collect during your visit to our websites and how exactly this data is used:
A. General information
1. scope of data processing
As a matter of principle, we collect and use personal user data only to the extent that this is necessary for the provision of a functional website and our content and services. The collection and use of our users' personal data regularly takes place after the users have given their consent. An exception applies in cases where the processing of data is permitted by legal regulations.
2. Legal basis for data processing
Insofar as we obtain the consent of the data subject for processing operations of personal data, Art. 6 (1) lit. a EU Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO) serves as the legal basis.
When processing personal data that is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, Art. 6 (1) (b) DSGVO serves as the legal basis. This also applies to processing operations that are necessary for the implementation of pre-contractual measures.
If the processing is necessary to protect a legitimate interest of MPG or a third party and the interests, fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject do not outweigh the first-mentioned interest, Art. 6 (1) f DSGVO serves as the legal basis for the processing.
3. Data deletion and storage period
The personal data of the data subject will be deleted or blocked as soon as the purpose of storage ceases to apply. Storage may also take place if this has been provided for by the European or national legislator in Union regulations, laws or other provisions to which the MPG is subject. Data will also be blocked or deleted if a storage period prescribed by the aforementioned standards expires, unless there is a need to continue storing the data for the conclusion or performance of a contract.
4. Contact details of the persons responsible
The responsible party within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation and other national data protection laws as well as other data protection regulations is the
- Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V. (MPG)
- Hofgartenstrasse 8
- D-80539 Munich
- Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-0
- Contact form: https://www.mpg.de/kontakt/anfragen
- Internet: https://www.mpg.de
5. Contact details of the data protection officer
The data protection officer of the responsible party is
- Heidi Schuster
- Hofgartenstrasse 8
- D-80539 Munich
- Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-1554
B. Provision of the website and creation of log files
Each time our website is called up, our servers and applications automatically collect data and information from the computer system of the calling computer.
The following data is temporarily collected:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your access to the page
- Address of the page accessed
- Address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser/operating system (if transmitted).
The data is stored in the log files of our systems. This data is not stored together with other personal data of the users.
The legal basis for the temporary storage of the data and the log files is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. The storage in log files is done to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, we use the data to optimise the websites, for troubleshooting and to ensure the security of our information technology systems. These purposes are also our legitimate interest in data processing according to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO.
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of the collection of data for the provision of the website, this is the case when the respective session has ended. In the case of storage of data in log files, this is the case after seven days at the latest. Storage beyond this period is possible. In this case, the IP addresses of the users are deleted or alienated so that an assignment of the calling client is no longer possible.1
The collection of data for the provision of the website and the storage of the data in log files is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website. Consequently, there is no possibility for users to object.
C. Web analysis
- IP address, anonymised by shortening
- Two cookies to distinguish between different visitors (pk_id and pk_sess).
- Previously visited URL (referrer), if transmitted by the browser
- Name and version of the operating system
- Name, version and language setting of the browser
- Visited URLs on this website
- Time of page views
- Type of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Techniques and formats supported by the browser (e.g. Cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, Realplayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears).
The data will be stored and evaluated exclusively on a central server operated by the MPG. In addition to the central website www.mpg.de, it is also used by most Max Planck Institutes and many project websites assigned to the MPG.
The legal basis for the processing of users' personal data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. The processing of users' personal data enables us to analyse the usage behaviour of our users. By evaluating the data obtained, we are able to compile information on the use of the individual components of our websites. This helps us to continuously improve our websites and their user-friendliness. These purposes are also our legitimate interest in processing the data in accordance with Art. 6 Para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. By anonymising the IP address, the interest of users in the protection of their personal data is sufficiently taken into account.
The data is deleted after the final annual totals for the access statistics have been calculated.
Of course, you have the option to object to the collection of data. You have the following independent options to object to data collection by the central server:
- activate the Do-Not-Track or Do Not Follow setting in your browser. As long as this setting is active, our central server will not store any data from you. Important: The Do-Not-Track instruction usually only applies to the one device and the one browser in which you activate the setting. If you use several devices / browsers, you must activate Do-Not-Track separately for each.
- use our opt-out function. Click on the check mark in the following selection box at https://www.mpg.de/datenschutzhinweis/datenerhebung-deaktivieren to stop or reactivate the data collection or reactivate it. As long as the checkbox is deactivated, our central server will not store any of your data. Important: For the opt-out, we have to save a special recognition cookie in your browser. If you delete this or use a different PC/browser, then you must again object to the data collection on this page.
- This data will not be stored together with other personal data of the users.
- Browser language settings (localisation): session cookie i18next.
- Session data (click distance, pages viewed, current language, as well as error messages for forms, if applicable: Sessioncookie mpg_session_r
Both cookies are deleted after the session is closed.
- Acceptance of the browser's language setting: automatic selection of the start page and spell check.
- Remembering form data entered: terms used in the site's internal search, entries in the contact form (section F).
The user data collected through technically necessary cookies are not used to create user profiles.
On our website you have the option of subscribing to a free newsletter. When you register for the newsletter, the data from the input mask is transmitted to us. These are usually your e-mail address, surname and first name. We will inform you about the specific processing of the data during the registration process and obtain your consent. In addition, we refer you to this data protection declaration. The data is used exclusively for sending the newsletter.
The legal basis for the processing of the data after registration to the newsletter by the user is the consent of the user Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a DSGVO. The collection of data serves to deliver the newsletter. The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. The user's email address is therefore stored for as long as the subscription to the newsletter is active. The subscription to the newsletter can be cancelled by the user concerned at any time.
F. Contact form
Our website contains a contact form which can be used for electronic contact. If a user makes use of this option, the data entered in the input mask is transmitted to us and stored. These are usually your e-mail address, surname and first name. We will inform you about the specific processing of the data during the usage process and obtain your consent. In addition, reference is made to this data protection declaration. The data is used exclusively for processing the conversation.
The legal basis for the processing of data when using the contact form is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a DSGVO if the user has given his or her consent. The processing of personal data from the input mask is solely for the purpose of processing the contact.
contacting. The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. This is the case when the respective conversation with the user has ended or the request of the user has been finally processed. The conversation is deemed to have ended when it is clear from the circumstances that the matter in question has been conclusively clarified. The user has the option of revoking the consent to the processing of personal data at any time vis-à-vis the listed contact persons.
The legal basis for the processing of data by reCaptcha is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. The use of reCaptcha takes place in order to ensure the functionality of the contact form and to exclude improper use. These purposes are our legitimate interest in data processing according to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. The use is absolutely necessary for the operation of the contact form. Consequently, there is no possibility for the user to object.
On our websites, we offer users the opportunity to register by providing personal data via an input mask. As a rule, we collect your e-mail address, surname and first name. We inform you about the specific processing of the data during the registration process and obtain your consent. In addition, reference is made to this data protection declaration.
The legal basis for the processing of the data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a DSGVO if the user has given his consent. If the registration serves the fulfilment of a contract to which the user is a party or the implementation of pre-contractual measures, the additional legal basis for the processing of the data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. b DSGVO. Registration of the user is necessary for the provision of certain content and services on our website or for the fulfilment of a contract with the user or for the implementation of pre-contractual measures. The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. This is the case for the data collected during the registration process when the registration on our websites is cancelled or modified. For the registration process for the fulfilment of a contract or for the implementation of pre-contractual measures, this is the case when the data is no longer necessary for the implementation of the contract. Even after the conclusion of the contract, there may be a need to store personal data of the contractual partner in order to fulfil contractual or legal obligations.
As a user, you have the option of cancelling your registration at any time. You can have the data stored about you changed at any time; the procedure is described in more detail in the specific registration process. If the data is required for the fulfilment of a contract or for the implementation of pre-contractual measures, premature deletion of the data is only possible insofar as contractual or legal obligations do not prevent deletion.
H. Data transfer
The administration and storage of your personal data is carried out in the case of selected services
- Newsletter (section E)
- Contact form (section F)
- Registration for the subscription management "abo.mpg.de" (section G)
within the framework of order data processing on systems of JustRelate Group GmbH, Berlin.9
Your personal data will only be transmitted to state institutions and authorities in cases required by law or for criminal prosecution due to attacks on our network infrastructure. Data will not be passed on to third parties for any other purpose.
I. Right of the data subject
As a data subject whose personal data is collected within the scope of the above-mentioned services, you generally have the following rights, unless legal exceptions apply in individual cases:
- Information (Art. 15 DS-GVO)
- Correction (Art. 16 DS-GVO)
- Deletion (Art. 17 para. 1 DS-GVO)
- Restriction of processing (Art. 18 DS-GVO)
- Data portability (Art. 20 DS-GVO)
- Objection to processing (Art. 21 DS-GVO)
- Withdrawal of consent (Art. 7(3) DS-GVO)
- Right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority (Art. 77 DS-GVO).
For MPG, this is the Bavarian State Office for Data Protection Supervision, Postfach 1349, 91504 Ansbach.