Getting Started at the FHI
Some things to do to get a head start as a PhD student
Congratulations! You recently started your journy towards a PhD at the Fritz Haber Institute in Berlin. You will perform world-class research in one of the most respected and also beautiful research institutes in Berlin.
Arriving at a completely new place can be daunting and difficult. It is our task to make the transition and your life as PhD student as pleasant as possible.
- When you arrive at the institute, find out who your responsible internal PhD representative is! They will able to help you with any questions you might have about life as a PhD student.
- Please also subscribe to our mailing list! All important information from the PhDnet is communicated through this channel.
- Check out the Website of the PhDnet, their social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook), and their Offspring group's activities
- Consider getting involved as a PhD representative within the institute or the MPG! Talk to the external representative for more information.
Enrole at a Berlin University
If you want to get a german PhD-degree you need a professor from a german university. We collected some guidelines to enrole at one of the three berlin universities (Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin)
- Ask your supervisor or department director if he/she knows a professor, who is more or less familiar with your topic
- Write your recommended professor if he/she want to suporrt you
- Enrole at the univerty of your new professor: FU Berlin, HU Berlin or TU Berlin
You have also a lot of benifits as a student:
- student card serves as a ticket for public transport in and around Berlin
- reduced entrances to sport centers, cinema...
- cheap mensa food